[cfe-dev] (not) initializing assembly outputs with -ftrivial-auto-var-init

Dmitry Vyukov via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 26 10:15:14 PDT 2019

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 5:11 PM JF Bastien <jfbastien at apple.com> wrote:

> >> How can we improve DSE to handle all main kernel patterns that matter?
> >> Can we? It's still unclear to me. Extending this optimization to
> >> generic DSE and all stores can make it much harder (unsolvable)
> >> problem...
> >
> > Right now there's a handful of places in the kernel where we have to
> > use __attribute__((uninitialized)) just to avoid creating an extra
> > initializer: https://github.com/google/kmsan/commit/00387943691e6466659daac0312c8c5d8f9420b9
> > and https://github.com/google/kmsan/commit/2954f1c33a81c6f15c7331876f5b6e2fec0d631f
> > All those assembly directives are using local scalar variables of size
> > <= 8 bytes as "=qm" outputs, so we can narrow the problem down to "let
> > DSE remove redundant stores to local scalars that are used as asm()
> > "m" outputs"
> > False positives will sure be possible in theory, but hopefully rare in practice.
>
> Right, you only need to teach the optimizer about asm that matters. You don’t need “extending this optimization to generic DSE”. What I’m saying is: this is generic DSE, nothing special about variable auto-init, except we’re making sure it help variable auto-init a lot. i.e. there’s no `if (VariableAutoInitIsOn)` in LLVM, there’s just some DSE smarts that are likely to kick in a lot more when variable auto-init is on.

We can't start breaking correct user code because "hopefully rare in
practice". But we can well episodically omit our hardening
initializing store if in most cases it is not necessary but we are not
really sure, e.g. not sure what exactly memory an asm block writes.
There is huge difference complexity-wise between a 100% sound proof
and a best-effort hint. This is very special about auto-initializing
stores.

I mean, I agree, all others being equal we prefer handling it on
common grounds. But still don't see all others being equal here. From
what Alex says, it's not possible to figure out what exactly memory an
asm block writes.