[cfe-dev] is LLVM IR suitable for your library Optimization?

dalas via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 13 18:26:19 PDT 2019

Hi, One question got in my head recently from the slides "MLIR Primer :
A Compiler Infrastructure for the End of Moore's Law"

When trying to optimize the source code based on LLVM IR, Do the
compiler developers and the SW Library developers feel enough to improve
easily? Wouldn't it be hard for them to handle the Low-Level IR to
optimize? This question kept in my mind because I can't catch the
capability whether the LLVM IR is the best optimization Intermediate
Language for Library Developer. Mostly the Library optimization is
switching the Function, Function Parameters, Loop unrolling, etc. Does
it really need to be done with SSA-form, RISC-like IR format to do all
these? If there is a more C-like or C++-like IR, wouldn't it be more
easy for Library Maintainer, such as ML Developer, Math Library,
MultiThreading Library, etc?

So I want to know what the practical developers feel about the current
LLVM IR form to perform various optimization. Whether the RISC-like IR
is better for the higher-level Optimization skills. Thanks for reading
and answering the question. Peace Out!

P.S. This question is not intended to discourage the LLVM IR
development, but just pops up the talk on whether there could be more
better solution on Clang Environment.