[cfe-dev] RFC: Place libs in Clang-dedicated directories (affects openmp, libcxx, libunwind, compiler-rt)

Joel E. Denny via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 8 15:37:27 PST 2019

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019, 6:21 PM Petr Hosek <phosek at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 2:55 PM Joel E. Denny <jdenny.ornl at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Petr,
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 3:11 AM Petr Hosek <phosek at chromium.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > I've implemented https://reviews.llvm.org/D59013 which moves
>> libunwind, libc++abi and libc++ output to lib/<target> and include/ in
>> LLVM_ENABLE_PER_TARGET_RUNTIME_DIR build, feedback is welcome.
>>
>> Thanks for working on that.  Sorry, I was traveling and didn't have a
>> chance to take a look before you pushed.
>>
>> So, if LLVM_ENABLE_PER_TARGET_RUNTIME_DIR=True, then all libraries in
>> lib/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu are now early in my library search path.
>> Is that right?
>>
>> One of the objections to previous patches I've seen is that promoting
>> non-Clang-dedicated directories (that is, their names don't contain
>> "/clang/") is not safe for backward compatibility because that can
>> affect library search order for system libraries not installed by
>> Clang.  Doesn't your patch have that issue?
>>

> I believe so. Would the alternative be inserting a clang/ component, i.e.
> lib/clang/x86_64-linux-gnu?

It sounds sufficient to me.  Just to have something to compare to, there
was also an example layout here:

https://reviews.llvm.org/D30733#697781

I'm not sure whether that's any better.

I could make that change, my patch has been reverted because it broke
> Windows bots so I can address this in the reland.
>

> Another alternative would be to avoid relying on -L for libraries like
> libunwind, libc++abi and libc++ which will always have the issue of being a
> subject to collisions and instead teach the driver to use a full path just
> like it does for compiler-rt runtimes, but that's a dramatic change.

What's the advantage over a Clang- dedicated directory that's early in the
search path?

Thanks.

Joel