[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [RFC] ASM Goto With Output Constraints

Bill Wendling via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jun 29 04:42:18 PDT 2019

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 7:27 PM Finkel, Hal J. <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> [...]
>> from -- (and it may therefore be required that you have the same address
>> for two separate callbr instructions).
>>
>> I guess this kinda touches on some of the same issues as in the other
>> discussion about the handling of the blockaddress in callbr and inlining,
>> etc...
>>
>> I wonder if we could put some validity restrictions on the IR structure,
>> rather than trying to fix things up after the fact by attempting to split
>> blocks. E.g., we could state that it's invalid to have a phi which uses the
>> value defined by a callbr, if it's conditioned on that same block as
>> predecessor.  That is: it's valid to use _other_ values defined in the
>> block ending in callbr, because they can be moved prior to the callbr. It's
>> also valid to use the value defined by the callbr in a phi conditioned on
>> some other intermediate block as predecessor, because then any required
>> moves can happen in the intermediate block.
>>
>> I believe such an IR restriction should be sufficient to make it possible
>> to emit valid code from the IR in all cases, but I'm a bit afraid of how
>> badly adding such odd edge-cases might screw up the rest of the compiler
>> and optimizer.
>>
>> That may be a reasonable restriction to place on the code.
>
> Allow me to wildly speculate a bit. What I would *like* to have happen is
> to generate assembly akin to this:
>
> *Lasm.goto.dest:*           ; The original blockaddress destination.
>
> Lasm.goto.dest.bb1:
>
>   mov %..., %...
>
>   jmp Lasm.goto.dest.body
>
> Lasm.goto.dest.bb2:
>
>   mov %..., %...
>
>   jmp Lasm.goto.dest.body ; This would be elided, of course.
>
> Lasm.goto.dest.body:

> This preserves the blockaddress value. If we create a new instruction,
> let's say `indirectval' (a horrible name, but used for this example), it
> could save us from having to deal with edge splitting. It could take values
> similar to a phi node:
>

>   <val> = indirectval <ty> [%v1, label %bb1], [%v2, label %bb2]
>

> where %v1 and %v2 are from callbr instructions. When we are converting the
> IR into machine instructions, we can generate something similar to the
> example above:
>

> asm.goto.dest:
>
>   BR asm.goto.dest.bb1
>

> asm.goto.dest.bb1:
>
>   MOV ...
>
>   BR asm.goto.dest.body
>

> asm.goto.dest.bb2:
>
>   MOV ...
>
>   BR asm.goto.dest.body
>

> asm.goto.dest.body:

> The one issue is the precise instruction to add to access the values.
> Perhaps they could be inserted directly before the indirectval inst.
>

> I don't understand how you can perform the renaming in general. Can't the
> block address to which the code jumps be provided as a pointer value
> (presumably generated using the labels-as-values extension)?

I made an error and essentially just restated my other proposal, but
introduced an instruction instead of splitting edges (I blame the lack of a
sufficient amount of caffeine). The problem still persists though.

How to control the extraction of values in the uncommon branch:

1. Simply don't allow values to be used there. I'm not a fan, because this
seems too restrictive.
2. Allow the values to be used, but require that if two callbr instructions
point to the same uncommon block, the values used in that block must have
compatible (identical?) output constraints. This seems like a nice
compromise. However, it does put the onus back on the programmer to ensure
correctness.
3. Do something similar to ARM32's EH handling, where a stack slot is
allocated and a value is inserted into it before each callbr. Then we could
branch according to that value. It's workable, but introduces stack
stores/loads which aren't ideal.
4. James's suggestion above about the valid use of callbr return values.

-bw