[cfe-dev] [RFC] ASM Goto With Output Constraints

Bill Wendling via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 27 13:44:55 PDT 2019

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 1:29 PM James Y Knight <jyknight at google.com> wrote:

> I think this is fine, except that it stops at the point where things
> actually start to get interesting and tricky.
>
> How will you actually handle the flow of values from the callbr into the
> error blocks? A callbr can specify requirements on where its outputs live.
> So, what if two callbr, in different branches of code, specify _different_
> constraints for the same output, and list the same block as a possible
> error successor? How can the resulting phi be codegened?
>
> This is where I fall back on the statement about how "the programmer knows
what they're doing". Perhaps I'm being too cavalier here? My concern, if
you want to call it that, is that we don't be too restrictive on the new
behavior. For example, the "asm goto" may set a register to an error value
(made up on the spot; may not be a common use). But, if there's no real
reason to have the value be valid on the abnormal path, then sure we can
declare that it's not valid on the abnormal path.

It'd sure be a whole lot easier to not have the values valid on the