[cfe-dev] RFC: Interface user provided vector functions with the vectorizer.

Francesco Petrogalli via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 24 09:06:12 PDT 2019

> On Jun 24, 2019, at 10:53 AM, Tian, Xinmin <xinmin.tian at intel.com> wrote:
>
> To me, it is also an issue related to SIMD signature matching when the vectorizer kicks in. Losing info from FE to BE is not good in general.

Yes, we cannot loose such information. In particular, the three examples I reported are all generating i64 in the scalar function signature:

// Type 1
typedef _Complex int S;

// Type 2
typedef struct x{
int a;
int b;
} S;

// Type 3
typedef uint64_t S;

S foo(S a, S b) {
return ...;
}

On AArch64, the correspondent vector function signature in the three cases would be (for 2-lane unmasked vectorization):

// Type 1:

<4 x int> vectorized_foo(<4 x int>, <4 x int>)

// Type 2:

%a = type struct {I 32, i32}

<2 x %a* > vectorized_foo(<2 x %a*> , <2 x %a*>)

// Type 3:

<2 x i64> vectorized_foo(<2 x i64>, <2 x i64)

To make sure that the vectorizer knows how to map the scalar function parameters to the vector ones, we have to make sure that the original signature  information is stored somewhere.

I will work on this, and provide examples.

Suggestions are welcome.

Thank you

Francesco