[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [RFC] Expose user provided vector function for auto-vectorization.

Doerfert, Johannes via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 5 20:24:22 PDT 2019

On 06/04, Francesco Petrogalli wrote:

> [...]
>
> “The simd trait can be further defined with properties that match the clauses accepted by the declare simddirective with the same name and semantics.” (Page 52, lines 9-10).
>
> The Vector Function ABI mangling scheme represent all the information that can be passed via a `declare  simd` directive (more than that, because it encodes also the target vector extension in the <isa> token). I can definitely speak for the AArch64 one, but it seems the same method has been used for the x86 one (@Hideki, @Xinmin, can you confirm?).
>
> Therefore, we can all agree that the attribute `vector-variant`, as it has been proposed, can be used to represent `declare simd` and `declare variant`, the latter when used with the `simd` trait of the `construct` set.
>
> The question that you raise is: “can we extend the information carried by `vector-variant` to represent all the semantic of `declare variant`?“
>
> Even if the answer to such question is no, is it really what we want to do?
>
> I am just thinking at a situation where the `declare variant` is used not for a single trait like `simd`, but also for other contexts.
>
> ```
> #pragma omp declare variant(variant_foo) match(construct={simd(simdlen(2),notinbranch), another_trait(with_other_clause)}, device= {isa(TARGET_ISA)}, ...)
> double foo(double);
>
> Vector_double variant_foo(vector_double);
> ```
>
> The pragma here is giving the following information:
>
> 1. The function `variant_foo` is obtained by `foo` with the following instance of `declare simd`:
>
> #pragma omp declare simd simdlen(2) notinbranch
> double foo(double);
>
> 2. The function `variant_foo` is written using the instructions of the TARGET_ISA specified in the `isa` trait of the `device` set.
>
> Again, (I will never get tired stating that) the Vector Function ABI name mangling scheme suffices to represent information 1. and 2.
>
>  3. The directive is saying something more, as it lists `another_trait` in the `construct` set, or might be listing an `extension` set with `vendor` specific rules.
>
> All this addition information doesn’t invalidate what is encoded in 1. And 2.
>
> This means that to represent `declare variant` information we don’t have to worry about _extending_ the `vector-variant` attribute, but that we just need to add additional attributes attached to the same `variant_foo` that describe the additional context information expressed in the `declare variant`.
>
> So, at the end, once we have full support for `declare variant`, the IR attribute that we will associate to `foo` will look like:
>
> ```
> . . . = call double @foo(double . . .) #0
>
> attribute #0 = {vector-variant=“_ZGVwhatever_foo”, vendor-variant=“X”, extension-variant=“Y”, another_trait_variant=“A,B,C”}

Now the attributes are at the call site which make certain things
easier. I'm undecided though. I think given all use cases of `declare
variant` today, this is fine. Assuming we want to choose the variant at
some point after inlining, we might want to annotate the base functions
after all.

We should not have distinct attributes (regardless of the
location/encoding). Given that it is extensible, passes should not
accidentally miss context information. So we would have something like:

`omp-match={simd-variant="....", propertyX="..."}`

And `declare simd` is "just" a `declare variant match(simd=...).

We should think about all use cases of variant again to make sure this
would work for all of them.

> It will be then a matter of interpreting the data in attribute #0 to decide whether or not it is appropriate/convenient to use `variant_foo` instead of `foo` in whatever optimization is being performed.
>
> As a last comment. Maybe the name `vector-variant` for the attribute is to close to use of `variant` in the `declare variant` directive.
>
> If that is something that have helped raising the idea that with my proposal I was trying to use `vector-variant` to implement `declare variant`, I am happy to change it to something that is specific to the `declare simd` context, something like `declare-simd = “_ZGVn. . . , _ZGVs. . .”`. Lack of fantasy here, but I must say that after thinking about the information it represent, I am kinda incline in preferring it over `vector-variant`. This shouldn’t be a problem for the VecCLone pass because the pass it not yet in master and therefore there is no prior IR that uses `vector-variant` in production.

We should not discuss names right now ;)

Cheers,
  Johannes