[cfe-dev] [analyzer] Speaking about reaching definitions...

Gábor Horváth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 17 08:56:57 PDT 2019

Just to be clear I am not against having more heuristics to suppress false
positives, I just have some concerns around some scenarios:
1.) Debugging: it will get harder and harder to actually write examples
that trigger the desired parts of the analyzer unless we turn some of the
heuristics off, but this of course only a minor concern.
2.) Probing: When someone evaluates the analyzer she is likely to do it
using little code examples. While I do agree that the analyzer should be
optimized for real world code I think it is good if it works for silly
little examples as well to give a good impression for the users. When we
writes such examples we often do not notice subtle properties of the code
like the one you written before. And the user might have the impression
that the analyzer is unable to catch those simple examples.
3.) Fixing reports: how can a user be user if she really fixed a problem or
only triggered yet another suppression heuristics?
4.) Introducing reports: changing seemingly unrelated parts of the code can
"untrigger" suppressions introducing new reports and the user might wonder
what change triggered the new warnings and why.

Of course 3) and 4) are already kind of inherent properties of symbolic
execution as the analysis coverage can change pretty easily by slightly
changing the code but I am still a bit uncomfortable with making this worse
without being able to give a good explanation what is going on.

All in all I think a heuristic like this is a good idea if we can give the
users a good and intuitive description why the bug was suppressed in a code
snippet. And that description should not require the knowledge of reaching
definitions or other similar concepts. So I think if we can easily extend
the FAQ with such information I am on board with this change. For example,
inline defensive check suppression is easy to explain, we can tell the
users the analyzer ignore some checks in the callees since they might only
be applicable for other callers. If we can have a similar clear description
for this one let's move ahead. What do you think?

Taking another look at the example:
It is only false positive if bar never returns null. Letting the analyzer
know that this is the case either with an assertion or an annotation makes
the issue disappear. I guess this is a question how static analysis
friendly one is. But my preferred solution in this case would be to let the
analyzer know the invariants of the code rather than suppressing the
report. But of course, to truly know the usefulness of the heuristics we
need to try it on real world code :)