[cfe-dev] temporary object with static storage duration materialization regression with -std=c++17 and above?

Language Lawyer via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 31 05:25:00 PST 2019

For a top-level lvalue reference to const initialized by a prvalue:

const int& ri = 5;

the object with the value `5` is created in the .rodata section with -std=c++14 and below (which is expected) and in .data with -std=c++17 and above.
https://godbolt.org/z/dbnpM9

I don't see any changes between the standards justifying this.

My guess that clang does not adjust the type of the prvalue as described in [dcl.init.ref]/5.2
> If the converted initializer is a prvalue, its type T4 is adjusted to type “cv1 T4” ([conv.qual]) and the temporary materialization conversion is applied.

With a prvalue initializer of a non-reference-compatible type — `const int& ri = 5.0;` — the object is always created in .rodata.