[cfe-dev] Removing the naming checks from clang's .clang-tidy files

Ilya Biryukov via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 29 07:03:41 PST 2019

Hi cfe-dev,

Clangd started showing clang-tidy warnings recently and I've noticed there
is too much of by clang-tidy inside the clang codebase, and most of it is
coming from 'readability-identifier-naming' check (at least in the Sema and
Parser code).

E.g. running
./bin/clang-tidy  ../llvm/clang/lib/Parse/ParseExpr.cpp

produces produces 52 warnings, 51 of which are naming violations from
'readability-identifier-naming'. 'Sema.h' has 1830 clang-tidy warnings with
'readability-identifier-naming' and 228 without it.

IIUC, the consensus is that renaming everything to align with the style
guide is just not worth it (would introduce merge conflicts, mess up the
history, etc). Does this render the naming check non-useful for the
'clang/' project? Should we remove it from  'clang/.clang-tidy'?

Are there other alternatives that could bring down the noise in clang-tidy
output and actually make it useful (e.g. we could put a file-wide NOLINT
comments into those files)?

--
Regards,
Ilya Biryukov