[cfe-dev] [RFC] Easier source-to-source transformations with clang tooling

Yitzhak Mandelbaum via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 28 10:16:33 PST 2019

Kim,

Not a luddite question at all! I'm still exploring Stencil's relevance
outside the context of Transformer.   I haven't written any AST traversals
myself, so I can't claim any special knowledge of that would fit with
Stencils, but I could imagine it might still be useful.  Can I ask what
advantages you'd see in that context over string concatenation?  I'm
thinking that without bound names, you lose the first and third selling
point I mentioned in my response to Manuel to this question, but point 2
still stands. We'd just to add a new operation to the stencil generators to
inject an ast node pointer/reference into the stencil.  e.g. we could add
overloads to Node() for clang::Stmt, clang::Decl, etc. I'd love to get your
take, though.