[cfe-dev] [RFC] Delayed target-specific diagnostic when compiling for the devices.

Finkel, Hal J. via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 17 09:40:21 PST 2019

On 1/17/19 11:11 AM, Alexey Bataev wrote:

> The compiler does not know anything about the layout on the host when
> it compiles for the device.

No, the compiler does know about the host layout (e.g., can't we
construct this by calling getContext().getAuxTargetInfo(), or similar?).

> We cannot do anything with the types that are not supported by the
> target device and we cannot use the layout from the host. And it is
> user responsibility to write and use the code that is compatible with
> the the target devices.
>
> He/she does not need to use macros/void* types, there are templates.

No. This doesn't solve the problem (because you still need to share the
instantiations between the devices). Also, even if it did, does not
address the legacy-code problem that the feature is intended to address.
The user already has classes and data on the host and wishes to access
*parts* of that data on the device. We should make as much of that work
as possible.

> You cannot use classes, which use types incompatible with the device.
> There is a problem with the data layout on the device and we just
> don't know how to represent such classes on the device.

There's no reason for this to be true. To be clear, the model of a
shared address space only makes sense, from a user perspective, if the
data layout is the same between the host and the target. Not mostly
similar, but the same. Otherwise, users will constantly be tracking down
subtle data-layout incompatibilities.

Thanks again,

Hal

--