[cfe-dev] [RFC] Delayed target-specific diagnostic when compiling for the devices.

Finkel, Hal J. via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 16 21:42:37 PST 2019

On 1/15/19 5:57 PM, Alexey Bataev wrote:
> Could you reference such functions in the initializer? Could you call them indirectly? Could you take their addresses?

It seems like the answer is yes - the CUDACallGraph is built by
Sema::CheckCUDACall, and that's called by Sema::DiagnoseUseOfDecl.

>  Or they just can be directly called from other functions?
>
> Best regards,
> Alexey Bataev
>
>> 15 янв. 2019 г., в 18:16, Alexey Bataev <a.bataev at outlook.com> написал(а):
>>
>> Because currently this kind of the analysis is implemented in Codegen and Codegen decides, which function should be emitted and which is not.
>> To implement it in Sema, we'll need to reimpelement almost everything from the codegen, because we will need to analyse all the statements in all functions. It significantly increases the compilation time.

Interestingly, it seems that this is exactly what is done for
host-device functions for CUDA. How much this increases compile time I
don't know, but given the way that the call graph is built during
initial parsing, it doesn't obviously incur the cost of a full second
walk. This seems better than waiting until CodeGen.

 -Hal

--
Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility