[cfe-dev] Warning when calling virtual functions from constructor/desctructor?

John McCall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 8 11:37:56 PST 2019

On 8 Jan 2019, at 13:45, Arthur O'Dwyer wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 1:05 PM John McCall via cfe-dev <
> cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> On 8 Jan 2019, at 8:37, Arnaud Bienner wrote:
>>>
>>> I realized I didn't put "DefaultIgnore" on this warning.
>>> I'm not experienced enough with clang to know what's the best way to
>>> deal
>>> with new warnings, but my feeling is that it would be sensible to
>>> have
>> this
>>> new warning DefaultIgnore for now, in -Wall, and make it default
>>> once we
>>> have some feedback from the community: while not all C++ projects
>>> use
>> -Wall
>>> (or -Wextra) I believe enough do to give us a chance to get some
>> feedback.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> We generally don't add things to -Wall.  That's why I went into my
>> whole
>> spiel
>> about versioning: I think it's a conversation we need to have before
>> we're
>> ready to accept this as a warning that's anything but hidden
>> permanently
>> behind its own opt-in flag.
>>

> John: Wha? Clang *frequently* adds things to -Wall!  -Wall includes
> -Wmost
> which includes a bunch of other categories, so while we don't often
> put new
> diagnostics *directly* under -Wall, pretty much every "reasonable"
> diagnostic eventually winds up in there somehow — which is the
> intent.

I don't think we "frequently" add things to -Wall or -Wmost.  We do
somewhat
frequently add warnings that are unconditionally default-on, but the
groups
have a conventional meaning that we don't generally touch.  What
recently-added
warnings are you thinking of that are not default-on but which are
included
in a group like -Wall or -Wmost?

John.