[cfe-dev] TSan on Windows?

Dmitry Vyukov via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 2 11:18:35 PST 2019

On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 8:05 PM Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:

> I don't think there are any plans to pursue it in the near future, and I estimate that it would be quite a lot of work to make it work for C/C++. I wouldn't recommend that a newbie take this on, as we've discovered that Windows ASan has an enormous maintenance cost.
>
> I believe Dmitry Vyukov got TSan working on Windows with GCC and Mingw for Go, but I've never compiled it or tried to use it. A large portion of the complexity in ASan comes from fighting with the various MSVC CRTs (static/dynamic, plus every new version) to intercept heap allocation and key string functions like memset, strlen, etc. This matters a lot when looking for races in C/C++ programs, but if you are looking for races in Go, then these things either aren't necessary, or are greatly simplified by committing to static linking with the Mingw CRT.

Yes, Tsan/Go works on Windows for like 5 years without any major
problems. And, yes, it does not have any interceptors.
I don't know what are unique problems for C/C++. Are these fixes for
C/C++ interceptors will fix both asan and tsan? If so, additional tsan
cost may be not too high.
I guess we won't know until we try.
The first thing would be to figure out working virtual address space
layout in tsan_platform.h.