[cfe-dev] [RFC] Delayed target-specific diagnostic when compiling for the devices.

Finkel, Hal J. via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 25 16:25:11 PST 2019

On 2/25/19 12:38 PM, Alexey Bataev wrote:

Hi Hal, I made a simple reproducer, seems to me float128 is already emitted correctly for NVPTX target. I just need to check the alignment and the record layout. And tere is another one question because of this. What if there is a difference between the host and the device in the memory layout for different types? Shall we use the host memory layout when we try to compile for the device? But it may lead to the problems with the memory access on the devices. Maybe, we should emit an error message if there is a difference in the type layout on the host and on the device?

I think that you need to use the host layout, otherwise there is no reasonable way to directly share the data structures. An error makes sense if there's a difference and we actually need to generate device code for operations on those elements.

 -Hal

Best regards,
Alexey Bataev