[cfe-dev] On Organization/Placement of Tools for Clang-Tidy

Shyan Akmal via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 20 17:14:57 PST 2019

Hello,

I'm working with a few other developers on creating a clang tool. This tool
is meant to help out with the development of clang-tidy checks
(specifically to help with writing matchers).

Currently, the tool is contained as a single folder within the
*clang/tools/extra* directory. However, we realized that several other
tools seem to be located outside of clang extra, in *clang/lib* or
*clang/lib/tooling*.

Given this, we had a quick question: should we move our tool to *clang/lib*,
keep it in *clang/tools/extra*, or place it somewhere else? Or, does the
placement not matter that much?

Sincerely,
Shyan