[cfe-dev] Clang-cl - errors and warning messages slightly different from MSVC

Marco Craveiro via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 18 09:15:46 PST 2019

Hi Clang developers,

Thanks very much for a great compiler, and in particular for the
amazing MSVC-compatible support in Clang-cl. I bumped into an
intriguing issue, which may have been discussed previously; if so
apologies, as my google-fu didn't uncover any matches.

The TL;DR of it is that I use clang-cl with CDash (part of the CMake
toolset) and I noticed that there are some tiny differences in error
reporting between Clang-cl and MSVC, causing the CDash scrapping
regexes to fail [1]. Basically, it boils down to the introduction of
an extra space after "error" and "warning" in Clang-cl, when compared
to MSVC [2].

I wonder if there is a rationale for these differences, and if not, if
it is possible to remove the extra space.

Many thanks for your time.
--
Marco Craveiro

[1] https://github.com/Kitware/CDash/issues/733
[2] https://github.com/Kitware/CDash/issues/733#issuecomment-464808927

MD, Domain Driven Consulting
about: http://about.me/marcocraveiro
blog: http://mcraveiro.blogspot.co.uk
twitter: https://twitter.com/MarcoCraveiro

That the Ideas are themselves manifestations (of the Idea-Idea) and
that the Idea-Idea is a-kind-of Manifestation-Idea—which is a-kind-of
itself, so that the system is completely self-describing— would have
been appreciated by Plato as an extremely practical joke [Plato]. --
Alan Key