[cfe-dev] [RFC] Add SYCL programming model support.

John McCall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 6 15:47:31 PST 2019

On 6 Feb 2019, at 14:02, Richard Smith wrote:
> Hi Alexey, thank you for starting this discussion, and for offering to
> contribute this extension!
>
> Our policy for accepting language extensions is documented here:
>
> http://clang.llvm.org/get_involved.html
>
> ... and, on the assumption that you / Intel will be providing long-term
> support and maintenance for SYCL in Clang, I'm satisfied that all of those
> points are met. (+rjmccall in case he has concerns in this area.)
>
> Since there seems to be a lot of overlap between SYCL and OpenCL, you
> should come to an agreement with Anastasia about code ownership and how the
> two features will harmoniously coexist, and I'm happy to see that that
> discussion has already begun.

Right.  As long as Intel understands that this isn't a one-shot project
and will require ongoing maintenance even after being feature-complete,
and as long as you're willing to cooperate with contributors with similar
projects to try to build a good common infrastructure, I have no objection
to taking this into Clang.

If this is a single-source language, then you may also find it helpful to
coordinate with the contributors who've worked on OpenMP and CUDA.

John.