[cfe-dev] Implementing OpenMP function variants

Doerfert, Johannes via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 18 08:16:21 PST 2019

On 12/18, John McCall wrote:
> On 13 Dec 2019, at 10:08, Finkel, Hal J. wrote:
> > Richard, John, et al.,
> >
> > Let me top-post here quickly to add that this question comes directly
> > from a disagreement about the application of Clang's design principle of
> > keeping the AST faithful to the source code (and I suspect that such a
> > question may be of wider interest to the community).
> >
> > Johannes has summarized the OpenMP language semantics below (thanks,
> > Johannes!).
> >
> > The relevant review thread is here: https://reviews.llvm.org/D71241
> >
> > Alexey's position is that, because the source code contains what appears
> > to be a call to the base() function, the AST should always reflect that
> > fact by having getCallee() return a reference to base(), and we should
> > lower the call to the selected variant using logic in CodeGen. Some
> > other member function should be used by AST-level tools to retrieve the
> > actually-called variant. This has the benefit that the primary AST
> > representation is independent of the compilation target and other
> > relevant OpenMP context.
> >
> > My position is that, like other cases where we perform overload
> > resolution and specializaton selection (including host/device overloads
> > in CUDA), we should resolve the variant selected in Sema, and
> > getCallee() should return a reference to the function that will actually
> > be called (even if that function has a different name from the name used
> > syntactically to form the call expression). This will ensure that
> > static-analysis tools see the correct call-site <-> callee relationship.
> > We should, I think, also keep a reference to the original OpenMP base
> > function in the AST, but some other member function should be used to
> > retrieve it.
> >
> > We say that we keep Clang's AST faithful to the source code, but how to
> > best apply that philosophy in this case is now under debate.
>
> Is it always immediately decidable when parsing a reference to a function
> which variant should be used, or is it sometimes dynamic or at least
> delayed?

For now, which means OpenMP 5.0 and TR8, it is conceptually immediately
decidable. It only depends on compilation parameters, e.g., the target
triple, and the lexical context.

> How is this expected to interact with C++ overloading?  Can you
> independently declare variants of each overload?

While the standard is not specific on this, I don't see why not.

I tried to summarize what the standard says yesterday [0]:

OpenMP basically says, if you have a call to a (base)function* that has
variants with contexts that match at the call site, call the variant
with the highest score. The variants are specified by a variant-func-id,
which is a base language identifier or C++ template-id. For C++, the
variant declaration is identified by *performing the base language
lookup rules on the variant-func-id with arguments that correspond to
the base function argument types*.

* However you figured out that the base function is the one called in
  the first place.

[0] https://reviews.llvm.org/D71241#1788003

> How does this interact with nested scopes?  If all variants are unacceptable
> for the use context, is it like the declaration just doesn’t exist, and so
> lookup continues to outer scopes?  Or is this impossible because there
> always has to be a non-variant declaration in the current scope?

The latter. As mentioned above, you first find the "normal" call target
and then apply the variant logic from there.

> My immediate intuition is that, assuming the semantics are always static and
> that there’s always a non-variant function, this should be handled as a sort
> of second level of overload resolution.  The variant declarations should be
> considered more-or-less independent functions; they are not redeclarations
> of the original.  5.1-type variants should be hidden from lookup, so that
> only the original function is found.  When we resolve a use of a declaration
> with variants we then pick the appropriate variant and treat the declaration
> as if it was using that originally.  The fact that we resolved it via a
> variant should be recorded in the FoundDecl, which would now have an
> additional possible state: we could have looked through a using declaration,
> and we could have resolved a variant.  This shouldn’t be a problem for
> FoundDecl.

I think your assumptions are met.

Is there a good reason to make 5.1-type variants different from
multi-versions (as we have them)? They do not depend on the lexical call
context but only on the compilation parameters.

--

Johannes Doerfert
Researcher

Argonne National Laboratory