[cfe-dev] [analyzer][RFC] Our stance on checker dependencies and disabling core checkers

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 13 15:12:47 PDT 2019

On 8/12/19 7:20 AM, Kristóf Umann via cfe-dev wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Our stance has long been that despite being visible to the user, core
> checkers shouldn't be enabled/disabled by hand, because they do
> important modeling that any pathsensitive checker may depend on,
> potentially causing incorrect reports and crashes. However, since
> then, a series of patches gave us the ability to express dependencies
> and hide modeling checkers.
>
> The core doesn't only do modeling, however, it emits diagnostics as
> well, and these diagnostics may contain false positives, sometimes to
> the degree where getting rid of them is desirable, yet we explicitly
> state that it shouldn't be disabled. And this problem doesn't only
> affect the core itself: disabling any checker that emits diagnostics
> and also is a dependency of some another checker will disable
> dependent checkers, which isn't always the intent.
>
> When I originally implemented the checker dependency system, my
> immediate goal was to fix a bug causing inconsistent checker names,
> but I firmly believe its time to make the it even more rigid:
>
> * Don't allow dependency checkers to emit diagnostics. Since the list
> of these checkers can easily be retrieved through Checkers.td,
> assertions could be used to enforce this. This would solve the issue
> of forgetting to create CheckerProgramPointTags for subcheckers for
> good, and a helpful assertion message could guide checker developers
> about it.
> * Make all dependency checkers hidden. If no dependent checkers are
> enabled, let the analyzer disable them. Disabling a non-hidden checker
> should only mean that the diagnostics from it are undesired.

Back when we were just discussing checker dependencies, i wasn't sure we
need them. My point was that if we instead split all checkers into
checkers that emit actual warnings but don't do modeling (and therefore
don't need to depend on each other) and checkers that only do modeling
but never do checking (and therefore never need to be turned off), our
hierarchy of checkers becomes fairly flat and there's no need to write
down dependencies at all.

With these first two bullets we get closer than ever to that solution,
right?

Even if we ever need to turn off modeling-checkers (eg., they have
horrible bugs in them and we suggest disabling them as a workaround), in
most cases it's fine to keep their respective checking-checkers on
(they'll simply not find any bugs: say, MallocChecker will be unable to
find bugs if the memory is not ever marked as allocated or freed). If
it's not fine to keep them on - well, just turn them off manually, given
that you are already smart enough to turn off the modeling-checker.

Situations when we truly need dependencies are currently fairly exotic.
We may run into more such situations when we have more complicated
checker interactions (say when we seriously try to model the C++
standard library - i'm pretty sure that's gonna be quite a mess), but
for now our hierarchy of checkers is fairly flat in practice.

> * Allow checkers to depend on packages.
> * Create the hidden(!) coreModeling package, separate all the modeling
> from core to it, leaving core as a set of highly recommended, but no
> longer mandatory checkers. coreModeling would be a dependency of all
> pathsensitive checkers.
This is equivalent to annotating path-sensitive checkers as such. This
would allow, say, clang-tidy enable path-insensitive checkers without
bringing in path-sensitive core checkers.

I'm worried that i need to remember to add a dependency every time i
make a path-sensitive check. Can we enforce it somehow, or even do that
automatically? 'Cause at run-time we already know whether any
path-sensitive checkers are enabled (by looking at how many subscribers
do path-sensitive callbacks have). Can we use that information to
automatically bring in path-sensitive core checkers when path-sensitive
analysis was requested, or is it too late at this point?