[cfe-dev] Feature request: Don't warn for specified "unknown" attribute

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 17 08:52:33 PDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 8:47 AM Aaron Ballman <aaron at aaronballman.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:53 AM David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Rather than having to list all the attributes from other compilers you
> > choose to use - would it make sense to use the namespace/scoping rules
> > here? Diagnose any unknown attributes that are either unscoped or in
> > the clang:: scope, but ignore all others?
>
> IMO, no. Vendors are welcome to support attributes from other vendors
> -- for instance, Clang supports some but not nearly all of the
> attributes in the gnu namespace, so there would continue to be a
> granularity issue. As for listing attributes individually, there are
> other design questions that I think don't have clear answers: how to
> handle attributes with multiple spellings and how to handle attributes
> that are unknown to one target but not others. We could probably
> figure something out for those, but I do not think listing out
> attributes in a warning flag is a tenable option for this
> functionality. As mentioned, there is already a standards-based
> approach for solving this problem, which is to use __has_cpp_attribute
> (and similar macros) and the preprocessor.

Perhaps, but I appreciate Justin's point - there seems limited value
in the syntax for attributes being standardized if there's no nice way
to use them without protecting them behind macros anyway. Not zero
value, but it does reduce the value, I think.

If we support attributes from other namespaces, then including those
in the set of accepted (& thus warned on) namespaces seems OK to me.
If someone's using clang and writes gnu::unsupported when they meant
gnu::supported (even though gnu::unsupported is supported by some
version of GCC but isn't supported by Clang) that seems like a nice
thing to warn on in this mode, while silently ignoring
"unsupported::anything" still.