[cfe-dev] EvaluateWithSubstitution Usage

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 16 11:18:09 PDT 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 at 09:06, Anthony Burzillo (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEX)
via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hello fellow clang-ers,
>
> I am looking to evaluate expressions with substitution, but I can't seem to get clang::Expr's EvaluateWithSubstitution to work correctly.
>
> Let me set up this question. Consider the following code...
>
> bool a = false;
>
> if (a) {
> std::cout << "HERE" << std::endl;
> }
>
> a = true;
>
> Suppose that I am trying to remove code paths that cannot possibly be reached. So in this case I have a matcher that will pick out the condition of the if statement as a clang::Expr. I would like to determine whether or not this clang::Expr can be evaluated to true or false.
>
> Suppose I am able to query the values of all of the variables that have deterministic values at the beginning of the condition. So my first approach was to construct a dummy function, where the arguments are named the same
> and have the same types as these deterministic variables, for example
>
> bool dummy_fn(bool a)
>
> and then construct a vector of arguments, i.e. { false }, to apply to the function. Then I would use the condition's EvaluateWithSubstitution method, passing in my dummy function and the corresponding arguments.
>
> Unfortunately this approach does not seem to work, even with such a seemingly trivial example.
>
> I have a feeling that the issue may be that the clang::DeclRefExpr of the 'a' within the condition's clang::Expr is pointing to a clang::Decl that is not the same as the parameter of my dummy function, but I'm not sure of the best way to fix this (especially when the conditions become much more complicated and involving multiple clang::DeclRefExpr's).

Yes, that's the problem. EvaluateWithSubstitution sets up a context
where the parameters of the specified FunctionDecl have the specified
expressions as their initializers. We don't provide a more general
interface to allow you to specify the values of local variables within
that function, but that would seem like a natural and useful
extension.

> So my question is two-fold:
> (1) Am I approaching this problem in the most "clang-y" way, or is there
> some other approach I should be using that would work better?

Implementing this check on top of the static analyzer might be a
better choice; you'd get a substantially more powerful inference
engine for determining what code is unreachable that way (for
instance, it will consider how the values of local variables evolve
over the course of the function, not merely their initial values).

> (2) In your opinion is the issue with the above approach as I described,
> i.e. that the clang::Decl of 'a' is not the same as the parameter 'a's,
> or is there something else that I may have missed?

Yes, that will be the problem.