[cfe-dev] Make standalone-debug default based on glldb tuning

Adrian Prantl via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 12 08:56:22 PDT 2019

> On Apr 12, 2019, at 8:45 AM, paul.robinson at sony.com wrote:

On Darwin we made the decision because when you are building against a binary library without debug info that vends a C++ interface (such as XNU kernel extensions do) the program becomes undebuggable because types from the library's headers are mnissing. An since dsymutil uniques C++ types this isn't particularly expensive and easier than educating developers of -fstandalone-debug. It also allows LLDB when debugging with .o files directly (without .dSYM) to only search for types in the current object, which speeds things up significantly.

IIRC, the ELF change was done by the FreeBSD folks and I'm not sure what the primary driver was, since the debug info in ELF is always one big blob.

-- adrian