[cfe-dev] [analyzer][GSoC 2019] Proposal: Enhancing bug reports in the Clang Static Analyzer

Devin Coughlin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Apr 7 10:25:19 PDT 2019

Hi Kristóf,

I read your proposal and left some suggested comments in the Google Doc.

The problem you’re tackling is really important and you’ve proposed an exciting avenue to address it!

Because the project is so ambitious and your proposal is a bit light on details, I think you should be very explicit about the success criteria. For static analyzer GSoC proposals, the most important criterion is typically that the feature is turned on by default by the end of the project. You should include a plan with specifics of how and when you will evaluate whether the feature is ready to be turned on for all users of the analyzer. In particular this should include:

* How will you evaluate whether a particular bug report got better or worse with your approach?
* What kinds of codebases will you support and evaluate it on? C? C++? Objective-C?
* How will you determine what the performance cost (running time, memory) is?
* Specifically, how will you know when the feature is ready to be turned on by default?

If you don’t think that enabling the feature by default by the end of GSoC will be achievable, then you should consider reducing the scope of the project. Is there a subset of the proposal that is achievable to turn on by default by the of GSoC?

Devin