[cfe-dev] VS2017: LLVM Compiler Toolchain Plugin

Stephen Kelly via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Sep 29 11:06:24 PDT 2018

On 29/09/18 15:54, Zachary Turner via cfe-dev wrote:
> To be clear, there’s no disagreement that when using MSBuild you should
> have exactly the same experience with clang-cl and cl. And by exact same
> experience, that means if anything is going on behind the scenes to make
> sure the filename is printed, it should be invisible to the user.

Hmm, I don't know what MSBuild has to do with it. Why shouldn't the
experience be the same with Ninja, or another buildsystem, or just when
running both from the command line? Maybe this is where I'm missing
something.

> The question is about what to do when not using MSBuild. Someone on
> Linux who is running clang-cl from the command line would be disturbed
> by the output because it’s not standard behavior for tools on Linux to
> do that.

Does CL.exe on linux with wine print the name? Why should Clang-CL be
different?

> With the implementation strategy I proposed in the earlier message, it
> seems like we can have the best of both worlds. There’s only really one
> tool I’m aware of that requires this output (MSBuild), and all other use
> cases seem to prefer not having it.
What do you mean 'best of both worlds'?

Does MSBuild "require" this output? Is this where I'm missing something
here?

Anyway, I don't follow your logic and I don't understand desire to not
behave like CL.exe in this sense (given the many other senses that
Clang-CL does behave like CL.exe). But, I can live with not following
that logic and without understanding the desire to make Clang-CL
different. I'll just assume I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Stephen.