[cfe-dev] VS2017: LLVM Compiler Toolchain Plugin

Stephen Kelly via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Sep 29 01:22:53 PDT 2018

On 28/09/18 23:30, Zachary Turner via cfe-dev wrote:
> I hadn’t seen that blog post, thanks!
>
> I don’t have a particularly strong opinion on the stdout option, but
> several other project members do. Can you elaborate on why you think it
> should be on by default

Consistency with MSVC.

I'll quote you on this:

 > stdout.  Currently when you build a large project you see no output and
 > it looks like the build is hung, potentially for several minutes.  It
 > would be nice to match what msvc does and generate build output

That's the exact experience I had.

> (and separately, why it should not be possible
> to disable)?

Self consistency. This is less important I think.

> The thinking on our side is that this is a task better
> handled by the build system

There are many more buildsystems than Clang-CLs.

> , and presently most build systems today just
> end up filtering this out anyway.

I'm not aware of that.

> My current idea for how to implement this is to have clang detect the
> presence of a magical undocumented environment variable, and have the
> MSBuild integration just set this variable.

I don't understand the reasoning behind deliberately diverging from what
MSVC does in a tool which emulates it.

I can keep my patch around if I need to anyway. I just thought I'd point
to to the bug report so you could see the existing discussion.

Thanks,

Stephen.