[cfe-dev] clang-format: inconsistency in function arg layout (C++)

Oleg Smolsky via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 11 08:10:41 PDT 2018

The patch was a baby step in right direction, but it does not function
properly. Let me try to make it work, I'll post it then.

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 3:12 AM, Jonas Toth via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi Oleg,
>
> could you please send that patch to `reviews.llvm.org`. That makes it
> easier to review and discuss on the code.
>
> Best, Jonas
>
> Am 10.09.2018 um 22:47 schrieb Oleg Smolsky via cfe-dev:
>
> OK, the functionality is a special case introduced in 2014 here:
> 8228889b01404d7e59270b1f97a83977531a7748.
>
> The minimal hack is to check for the preceding comma... but that breaks
> some "literal" cases... So, I need to make these selections even more
> particular (to either exclude literals or only include lambdas). Does this
> sound right?
>
> On 2018-09-10 12:47, Oleg Smolsky wrote:
>
> Hi, I've just boiled down an interesting C++ lambda formatting trait and
> would like to clarify the tool's behavior. Consider the following snippet
> (please view with a fixed-width font):
>
> void f() {
>   something->One(
>       [this] {
>         Do1();
>         Do2();
>       },
>       1);
>   something->Two(1,
>                  [this] {
>                    Do1();
>                    Do2();
>                  },
>                  1);
> }
>
> There is an inconsistency in the way lambda args are formatted, depending
> on whether it is first (the "One()" call above) or not (the "Two()" call
> above). Is there some internal guide that the tool uses to decide between
> the two layouts? Or is it just an artifact of the implementation?
>
> More generally, would you entertain a patch that forces the format one way
> or another? (Perhaps even with a user-defined setting?)
>
> Thanks,
> Oleg.

*Oleg Smolsky *Member of Technical Staff
[image: twitter-3-16.png] <https://twitter.com/cohesity>  [image:
linkedin-6-16.png] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/cohesity>

<http://signatures.cohesity.com/uc/57f5aca20e0f7567c3300bbe>