[cfe-dev] RFC: Syringe -- A Dynamic Behavior Injection Framework

Paul Kirth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 5 23:10:54 PDT 2018

We developed the framework to be used as the basis for performing software
fault injection in Fuchsia, in particular for injecting dynamic faults. As
we started, exploring this problem space we recognized that this type of
framework is more broadly useful outside of fault injection, and that a
method for dynamically enabling new program behaviors seems like a useful
feature in and of itself. In someways this line of thinking has already
been proven by Microsoft's work on Detours, which enables new program
behaviors through a different mechanism (trampolines). Hopefully, as part
of the compiler toolchain, Syringe can serve as the basis a variety of
other tools and frameworks besides fault injection. A few that come to mind
are dependency injection, dynamically enabled security checks, and the
selective application of sanitizers.