[cfe-dev] How does Clang CUDA handle __host__ __device__ template instantiation with __host__ or __device__ only constructs?

Justin Lebar via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 26 15:21:51 PDT 2018

clang's CUDA support does not care about templates.

Instead, the rule is: You can do anything in a HD function, including
calling "wrong-side" functions (e.g. calling a D function when compiling
for host).  But if you do something that we cannot codegen (like make a
wrong-side call), we enqueue an error into a list.  Then if this function
is ever emitted (e.g. an inline function that's called), we emit the errors
we've deferred.

We never emit these warnings.  In practice at least when we were developing
this we couldn't rationalize nvcc's behavior (and I believe it's changed
significantly over time), so we didn't try to match it particularly
closely, either in terms of errors or warnings.  Rather, we wanted
something that made sense to us and was close enough that we could justify
to users the code changes we were asking them to make.

Does that answer your question?

-Justin