[cfe-dev] Building Clang on Windows

Kim Gräsman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 16 23:42:35 PDT 2018

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018, 03:56 Fábio Picchi via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>
wrote:

> What if cmake generated by default a solution that builds using only a
> single thread? This way people would not complain when trying to use this
> workflow and mantainers / more experienced users would change this setting
> when they find it appropriate.

MSVC has two knobs for parallel compilation: the compiler switch /MP which
can be set per project or per source file, and "Number of parallel builds"
which is a user setting and can't be overridden for individual
solutions/projects.

So I suppose the cmake system could generate projects without /MP, but the
other setting is out of its control.

And I'm not sure it makes a good default to cripple the buildsystem like
this. For every user it helps, it will kill the experience for somebody
else.

- Kim