[cfe-dev] [libcxx-dev] LLVM Relicensing Update

Chris Lattner via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 16 23:11:16 PDT 2018

> On Oct 16, 2018, at 4:51 PM, Pavan Maddamsetti via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Dear LLVM community,
>
> Please do not agree to relicense LLVM under the Apache 2 license. It will make LLVM less useful, prevent other open source projects from using it, and encourage the proliferation of software patents on LLVM technologies.

Hi Pavan,

Thank you for expressing your concerns, but as Chandler mentioned, we’ve already extensively discussed this in email threads over the last several years.

Since you mention it, one of the major reasons I am personally motivated to get the relicensing effort done is to clarify the software patent situation.  These are complex matters and I respect your right to hold an opinion.  However, it is important for me to say that your interpretation of the situation in direct contradiction with virtually every expert I’ve spoken to about the matter - including the independent lawyer that represents the LLVM community (who happens to be a OSS software license expert).

The LLVM community is based on the idea of engineers across the world coming together to collaborate in neutral ground to build amazing infrastructure.  It is important that this remains independent of corporate or business conflicts that their affiliations may or may not have with other contributor’s organizations.  I’m super proud of the how strong the community is on this point and how collaborative and inclusive the community is, and the relicensing is just a small bit of insurance to help make sure things stay that way.

-Chris