[cfe-dev] Building Clang on Windows

Fábio Picchi via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 4 06:24:07 PDT 2018

Updates:
> Are you building debug or release? If debug, try building release.
I tried and got the same error.

I noticed my *build target* was *Win32* even though I passed the option
-Thost=x64 to cmake. I followed the new instructions to regenerate the
solution using:
cmake -G "Visual Studio 15 2017" -A x64 -Thost=x64 ..\llvm

Now the build target is displayed as *x64*. I tried to build it in Debug
mode and still got the dreaded error:
C1060: compiler is out of heap space

I couldn't check the log errors in detail because I had to leave for work
but I'll post more updates in the evening.

I will try to do some research on the weekend but it would be great if
someone could better explain the out of heap space error. How can the
linker run out of memory just by linking binaries? Why is this process so
memory intensive? Furthermore, why does it matter if I am targeting x86 or
x64? I understand the pointers double in size but that would mean more
memory usage for the x64 target, not the x86.

Thank you very much for the help!