[cfe-dev] [RFC] automatic variable initialization

Andrea Bocci via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 27 01:23:09 PST 2018

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 at 18:00, David Blaikie via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Would it be that drastic to have this require a code change/compiler
> rebuild to enable? It could be designed so the change is small/easy
> (changing a constant) but that the default compilers we all ship around (&
> especially not the official releases) don't allow access to this
> functionality.
>
> Anyone wanting to gather data would have to make this small change,
> rebuild their compiler, build their target with this feature & gatehr
> results from there.

Then you might as well maintain a patchset outside the main repository and
require patching the sources.
What is time consuming and discouraging is not the complexity of the
changes, but the fact that one has to rebuild the compiler in the first
place, and make any changes at all.

It would also make it much harder to build only part of a complex
environment with the feature enabled - for example, building the underlying
libraries with the default compiler, and the tools on top with the patched
compiler.

.Andrea