[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] GN build roundtable summary; adding GN build files to the repo

Nico Weber via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 6 03:10:38 PST 2018

The value in having them somewhere in-tree is that it's easier for people
collaborate on these files, and it's way lower setup overhead if someone
wants to try it out. If people prefer llvm/util over llvm/experimental,
that's fine with me.

There would only be a single directory that will contain build files for
all of llvm, clang, lld, etc. The build files would be in
llvm/whatever/gn/tree/{llvm,clang,lld,...}/... ("tree" can be any name).
That's not the most natural way to use gn, but I agree that having BUILD.gn
files scattered all over the tree could make it look like gn is supported
at some level.

If adding the files in an isolated directory still ends up being confusing
in practice, we can move them out at that point. But I'd like to start with
the simpler way and see if that's good enough.