[cfe-dev] Proposition: 7.0 => 7 in library names

Sylvestre Ledru via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Mar 17 06:48:15 PDT 2018

Hello,

Context: I have been packaging the llvm toolchain for Debian & Ubuntu
and also providing these packages on https://apt.llvm.org/.
One of the goal is to have different versions co-installable. For that,
I am renaming the binaries and libraries.

Now, as we are not using the minor version (the Y in X.Y.Z), there isn't
much point in calling our tools foo-7.0 as we won't create a 7.1.
See http://blog.llvm.org/2016/12/llvms-new-versioning-scheme.html for
more information on this.

Proposition: Remove the .0 everywhere in lib name.

I have been publishing this change on top of the Debian/Ubuntu packages
for a couple of months now (basically since trunk became 7).
Packages are now called clang-7 instead of clang-6.0
I believe I have been able to rename all occurrences that I found and I
haven't seen anyone complaining (besides the few expected issues).

Patches are available here:

https://reviews.llvm.org/D41869 - LLVM
https://reviews.llvm.org/D41808 - Clang

AFAIK, nothing is needed for lldb or lld.

This is also the path that gcc took (and Debian is doing the same from
gcc-5).

Any comments or objections?

Thanks,
Sylvestre