[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [GSOC 2018] Information gathering

Paul Semel via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 16 01:57:25 PDT 2018

Hi Eric,

On 03/15/2018 04:33 PM, Eric Christopher wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>

>     >> I'm also interested in the command line replacements for GNU
>     Binutils :
>     >>
>     >> - What tools would you like to replace in priority ?
>     >> - Does this subject imply to add options/features to some of the
>     >> tools, or is it only about handling command line ?
>     >

> I just replied with this in another thread:
>
> "It's currently still available. The basic idea is that we'd be
> working on getting each of the llvm tools or libraries with a front
> end that is command line compatible with the GNU binutils counterpart
> to serve as a replacement. Whether or not we made them output
> compatible is something else, but we'll probably want to have a couple
> different modes there from:
>
> a) The compatible tool,
> b) The tool we all want.
>
> A and B could be the same, but then again, they might not. The low bar
> for the SoC project is going to be A."
>
> And in priority order I'd probably want to finish off objcopy support
> (see the recent thread on llvm-dev) and objdump/readobj/readelf and
> then go from there.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -eric

I saw the thread you are talking about. So basically, the idea would be
to do the correct calls for either COFF subset of functions of ELF ones
wether we have a COFF or ELF file as an input.
Am I right ?

I am really interested in doing a proposal for this subject. What do you
expect to be in it ? I was actually thinking of something like exposing
the things I've done in LLVM/CLang, the schedule for the 3 months (but
for this, I need to talk with you about the high priority tools, as I'm
not sure it is possible to do all the frontend tools in such amount of
time)..

Anyway, I am really happy that you answered my email. Hope to hear from
you soon !

--
Paul