[cfe-dev] Question about checkRegionChanges in static analyzer

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 13 11:36:16 PDT 2018

Weird, I was super sure I answered that back then. Probably misclicked
something :/ Sorries.

Normally you shouldn't be using explicit_regions at all. They are
tweaked for the use-case of RetainCountChecker which behaves very
differently from other checkers, because invariants imposed by Apple
memory management policy for Foundation and CoreFoundation are about
maintaining a clear ownership of the object, not simply making sure it's
released at some point - which is not how most checkers work.

For the purposes of invalidation you should not really care if the
region was explicitly passed into the function or is implicitly
retrievable from within the call by exploring the heap pointed to by
other arguments or globals. In either case the object's state is not
known anymore.

And the non-explicit regions array seems to work just fine: when the
object is passed by a const pointer or reference, its contents are not
invalidated, because, well, you cannot (or rather should not) mutate an
object through a const pointer.

Now, speaking of 't' and 't.d' - this behavior is also by design
(documented in docs/analyzer/RegionStore.txt), because it is possible to
mutate t.s through a non-const pointer to t.d by using completely safe
pointer arithmetic: (this - offsetof(T, s) + offsetof(T, d)) and such.
This is definitely a language feature that some projects use (but
definitely not many). I think you should be able to partially suppress
it on the checker side, probably by looking for sub-regions of the
region in the explicit_regions list (and see what happens). We've been
thinking about investigating possibilities to make this feature less
aggressive but it requires a very careful investigation because false
positives are more scary than false negatives, and most of the time
extra escaping causes more false negatives than false positives.