[cfe-dev] newbie

mats petersson via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 7 06:53:59 PST 2018

On 7 March 2018 at 14:41, Stephan Bergmann via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 07.03.2018 15:31, mats petersson via cfe-dev wrote:
>
>> Despite having 32GB of RAM (and not much swap-space), building a debug
>> version of LLVM + Clang with -j N, and having N > ~10 will make my machine
>> almost stop (to the level where I hit a key and it takes several seconds to
>> respond to that single keypress).
>>

> What I find useful is to pass a small value like
> -DLLVM_PARALLEL_LINK_JOBS=2 into the cmake/ninja build.  For me, it's
> always been too many parallel link jobs that would have brought the build
> machine to its knees.

Ah, that sounds very helpful. I'll give that a try next time I'm fetching a
new version (I don't update my LLVM + Clang every time I work on my
project, as it would reduce my work throughput even more than it currently
is by other distractions).

--
Mats