[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Emiting linkage names for Types to Debuginfo (C++ RTTI support in GDB/LLDB)

Pavel Labath via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 6 04:13:02 PST 2018

On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 at 20:33, John McCall via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Seems like a reasonable project!  Maybe we can get a SoC student to make a
> standalone C++ demangler library with a tree API (an unstable one should be
> fine), and debuggers can just use that instead of relying on the OS's
> cxa_demangle.  (I'm really not sure why development tools rely on the
> system demangler anyway; surely it's always easier to tell users that
> they'd get a better experience with a new debugger than to tell them that
> they need to replace their system's C++ standard library?)

I believe there is some work being done on that already <
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/lldb-dev/2018-January/013186.html>, but I'm
not sure what's the current state of it. Also, in the default
configuration, LLDB will use lllvm::itaniumDemangle for demangling
(although there is a build option to use cxa_demangle).