[cfe-dev] Webinar: A New Flang - Interactive Code Review and Design Discussion

Stephen Scalpone via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 27 07:23:15 PDT 2018

You can forward this invitation to others.

Hi everyone!

We've scheduled two one-hour interactive webinars where NVIDIA will present our current progress re-writing the Flang frontend.

To those of you who are contributors to any part of Clang or Flang, your participation is specifically requested so we can get feedback from the community.

We have picked two times for the webinar:

Monday, July 2. 12-1pm CDT / 10-11am PDT / 6-7pm BST.

Wednesday, July 11. 11-12pm CDT / 9-10am PDT / 5-6pm BST.

The information presented in each webinar will be very similar.

There’s more information about the github repo and what we’re doing at the end of this message.

A New Flang - Interactive Code Review and Design Discussion

Monday, July 2, 2018

10:00 am  |  Pacific Daylight Time (San Francisco, GMT-07:00)  |  1 hr

Meeting number (access code): 627 527 243

Meeting password: Flang2018

Add to Calendar<https://nvmeet.webex.com/nvmeet/j.php?MTID=m9257e79c350e059641a787ba188e3c41>

When it's time, join the meeting<https://nvmeet.webex.com/nvmeet/j.php?MTID=md5504f9a6ee7657e2c354a195e030a2d>.

Join from a video system or application

Dial 627527243 at nvmeet.webex.com<%20sip:627527243 at nvmeet.webex.com>

You can also dial 173.243.2.68 and enter your meeting number.

Join by phone

1-844-740-1264 USA Toll Free

Global call-in numbers<https://nvmeet.webex.com/nvmeet/globalcallin.php?serviceType=MC&ED=699662967&tollFree=1>  |  Toll-free calling restrictions<https://www.webex.com/pdf/tollfree_restrictions.pdf>

Can't join the meeting? <https://collaborationhelp.cisco.com/article/WBX000029055>

The team developing Flang
(https://github.com/flang-compiler/flang), an LLVM frontend
for Fortran, has been working diligently at improving the
existing code base, adding new features, etc. However, while
this is delivering a production-quality frontend, it is
clear that the incremental evolution of the existing C code
base likely won't get us to a "Clang for Fortran" for
several reasons. What we want is a frontend for Fortran
that, like Clang, is suitable for both tooling and
traditional compilation, written in modern C++ making use of
LLVM support classes as appropriate, and otherwise takes
advantage of the collective frontend-development experience
of the LLVM community.

To address this desire, as announced briefly at EuroLLVM,
the NVIDIA team has started working on a ground-up rewrite
of Flang.  We will explain how peculiarities of Fortran have
influenced the current design, and we would like to get
feedback from the community early in the development
process.

You can find the work-in-progress frontend here:
https://github.com/flang-compiler/f18

Thank you to Hal Finkel for moderating the doodle poll and
writing most of these words (from in his original messages).

Thanks,
Steve

P.S. If you want to have a technical discussion about Flang
itself, please use the flang-dev mailing list
(http://lists.flang-compiler.org/mailman/listinfo), not this
one. I'm posting here only to reach Clang contributors. The
goal is to create a Fortran frontend that might eventually
be accepted as a formal part of the LLVM project.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that this WebEx service allows audio and other information sent during the session to be recorded, which may be discoverable in a legal matter. By joining this session, you automatically consent to such recordings. If you do not consent to being recorded, discuss your concerns with the host or do not join the session.