[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Is it really valid to discard externally instantiated functions from a TU when marked inline?

Louis Dionne via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 11 14:29:40 PDT 2018

- llvm-dev (sorry Chandler, I’m not accustomed to which topics should be discussed on which lists yet)

> [...]
>     #else
>         template struct Foo<int>;
>     #endif
>
> When running the attached file in `lit`, we get:
>
>     Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
>       "Foo<int>::__init(int)", referenced from:
>           _main in main.o
>     ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
>
> The idea here is that `__init` is a pretty big function, and we're promising that an external definition of it is available through the use of the extern template declaration. With the appropriate optimization level (O2 and above), LLVM decides not to include the definition of `__init` in the executable and to use the one available externally. Unfortunately, `__init` has hidden visibility, and so the definition in the .so is not visible to the executable, and the link fails.
>
> Where I think Clang/LLVM goes wrong is when it decides to remove the instantiation in the executable in favor of the one that is hypothetically provided externally. Indeed, the Standard says in [temp.explicit]/12 (http://eel.is/c++draft/temp.explicit#12 <http://eel.is/c++draft/temp.explicit#12>):
>
>     Except for inline functions and variables, declarations with types deduced from their initializer or return value ([dcl.spec.auto]), const variables of literal types, variables of reference types, and class template specializations, explicit instantiation declarations have the effect of suppressing the implicit instantiation of the definition of the entity to which they refer. [ Note: The intent is that an inline function that is the subject of an explicit instantiation declaration will still be implicitly instantiated when odr-used so that the body can be considered for inlining, but that no out-of-line copy of the inline function would be generated in the translation unit. — end note ]
>
> Only reading the normative wording, it seems like LLVM should leave the instantiation there because it can't actually assume that there will be a definition provided elsewhere (yes, despite the extern template declaration, because the function is inline). Then, the non-normative note seems to be approving of what LLVM is doing, but I'm wondering whether that's really the intended behavior.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is what LLVM's doing there legal?
> The Standard does not say anything about the instantiation producing a definition associated with object file that results from translating the current translation unit. The program is only valid if there is indeed an explicit instantiation provided elsewhere. That said, the as-if rule that allows the suppression of the definition assumes that a provided explicit instantiation can be linked against. It is up the the designers of the extension (the visibility attribute) to say whether or not the rule with templates having hidden visibility is that the explicit instantiation needs to be provided in the same “module".

Thanks Hubert. That makes some amount of sense. So in that case, it would either be
1. A bug that Clang is not emitting `__init` in the object file since it has hidden visibility, and it can’t tell whether we’re going to try to link dynamically or statically with the other module that provides it.
2. The intended design that visibility attributes interact very poorly with extern template declarations. This would be sad, since libc++ is a pretty big user of both, and it really isn’t working that well for us.

In both cases, it’s not a conformance bug with the Standard, as Hubert points out. It would be lovely if someone more knowledgeable about the visibility attributes could shed some light on whether that’s intended and we need to invent something new, or whether it is correct to consider it a bug and we should fix it (somehow).

In the meantime, this is blocking our ability to use neither `__attribute__((Internal_linkage))` nor `__attribute__((__always_inline__))` on any declaration that may have an extern template declaration (which is basically all declarations, because users can write extern template declarations for std:: components in their own code).

Louis