[cfe-dev] clang-format leading whitespace

Samuel Williams via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 26 01:06:49 PST 2018

> ## Some objective problems:
>>
>> - Existing code which is indented this way would require a lot of changes.
>>

> That's true for any project starting to use clang-format. That's why we'd
> suggest to use editor and version control system integrations and only
> format the lines that are touched.

I'm not really sure the workflow you describe really makes sense.

I'd prefer to apply it to the whole project in one shot and then keep it
formatted that way using pre-commit hooks or something like that.

>> - Markdown (which is useful in comments) is sensitive to trailing
>> whitespace.
>>

> I haven't seen a project using markdown in comments and relying on the
> trailing whitespace. However, even if some do, I think it'd be better for
> clang-format to recognize this and not remove spaces for those comments
> specifically.

clang-format simply can't know that the comments contain markdown or not,
so what you propose is impossible. One option would be to not reformat
comments.

> It's possible to add a post process script to normalise leading whitespace
>> but not trailing whitespace (e.g. in the case of markdown).
>>
>> ## Some subjective problems:
>>
>> - It's my preference when I start editing on a line, the indentation is
>> correct already.
>>

> How often do you even start editing in a currently empty line? Don't you
> normally start with some existing code and have to insert a line break?
> clang-format wouldn't help there..

I start editing on empty lines all the time.

> (It's also a really easy habit to loose once you have gotten yourself to
> rely on clang-format working in your editor).
>

>> - When moving cursor up and down it's my preference that it doesn't jump
>> back and forward when crossing blank lines.
>>

> But the proposal wouldn't really change much here, unless you happen to
> have the cursor right at the start of the line and it would all be indented
> the exact same level. Isn't that a really rare case?

It's not a rare case at all if you have lots of empty lines.

> Some of these issues can be fixed by editor configuration/plugins, but
>> it's still not 100% correct.
>>
>> Thanks for your time.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Samuel

I still think this is a good idea. and the fact that many top projects
prefer this style is a good indication that it would be a useful addition,
IMHO.

Kind regards,
Samuel