[cfe-dev] [Debug Info] Wrong column numbers come from macros

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 21 09:11:06 PST 2018

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 9:07 AM Adrian Prantl <aprantl at apple.com> wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2018, at 9:04 AM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Not sure I follow there, though, Adrian - the semantics don't dictate just
> how we could model this in a debugger.. (similarly how our diagnostics can
> provide more detail rather than modelling a macro expansion as though it
> was all written at the macro invocation point)
>
> I think we've talked about using something like inlining to represent
> macro expansions, for example - to provide help with the debugging
> experience.
>

> Something like this would certainly be doable, but I'm somewhat concerned
> that we wouldn't be able to reproduce a compilation from preprocessed
> source any more. I suppose we could extend #line with inline information to
> reflect the macro expansion, though.

I think that might already be true - if it's a multi-line macro, for
example, it'll change the line numbers of the file (& result in the
multiple lines of the macro being attributed to different lines, rather
than all to the same line).

(& certainly if you've got column info on, it'll change quite a lot)