[cfe-dev] [analyzer] Temporaries.

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 6 13:41:22 PST 2018

A bit of an update.

== Temporary destructors ==

Adding some initial support for temporary destructors seems pretty easy
and straightforward at this point, given the awesome work done by Manuel
Klimek on our CFG a few years ago.

1. We already have the awesome CFGTemporaryDtor elements, which have the
backreference to the CXXBindTemporaryExpr for their temporaries.

2. In simple cases CXXBindTemporaryExprs have an immediate constructor
within them, and therefore we can provide the CXXBindTemporaryExprs as
the construction context's trigger statements, and therefore have a
reliable CXXTempObjectRegion for constructors.

3. Then we already track the CXXBindTemporaryExprs for the active
temporaries in the program state. We can attach any constructor
information to them, such as the target region, if we need to (probably
we can reconstruct it by looking at the expression and the location
context, not sure if we want to).

4. So when we reach the CFGTemporaryDtor element, we can just lookup all
the info we need, and perform the destruction properly.

5. There's a bit of a liveness problem, because it seems that our
liveness analysis tends to throw away the temporary too early. I can
easily hack this problem away by marking all regions that correspond to
active temporaries as live. I'll see if there's a better solution.

== CXXDefaultArgExpr problems ==

There's a known problem with those. Consider:

   void foo(const C &c = C()) {
   }

   void bar() {
     foo();
     foo();
   }

Each call of foo() contains a CXXDefaultArgExpr for c. The default
argument value C() is constructed before we enter foo() and destroyed
after we leave foo(). However, c's initializer, "= C()", is *not part of
the AST of bar()*. In particular, when foo() is called twice, the
initializer for the two calls is the same, only CXXDefaultArgExprs are
different. This screws a lot of invariants in the analyzer: program
points start coinciding (causing the analysis to loop and cache out),
Environment doesn't expect the same expression in the same location
context have two different values (suppose calls are nested into each
other), analysis taking wrong branches, and so on.

Luckily, default-arg expressions that aren't zero integers or null
pointers are pretty rare. Still, we'd need to eventually think how to
avoid any really bad practical problems with them.