[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [RFC] Upstreaming PACXX (Programing Accelerators with C++)

Haidl, Michael via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 5 22:32:53 PST 2018

> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> said:
>
>     Michael> HI LLVM comunity, after 3 years of development, various
>     Michael> talks on LLVM-HPC and EuroLLVM and other scientific
>     Michael> conferences I want to present my PhD research topic to the
>     Michael> lists.
>
> [...]
>
>     Michael> Recently, I open sourced PACXX on github [3] under the same
>     Michael> license LLVM is currently using.
>
> Amazing! :-)
>
>     Michael>   Since my PhD is now in its final stage I wanted to ask if
>     Michael> there is interest in having such an SPMD programming model
>     Michael> upstreamed.
>
> There is probably a lot of things in your code that could be useful for a lot of
> other projects related to heterogeneous computing.
>
> It would be nice to have some common support upstreamed for all these
> heterogeneous C++ languages (CUDA/OpenMP/OpenACC/OpenCL
> C++/SYCL/C++AMP/HCC/...) to ease their implementation or up-streaming.
> For now only CUDA & OpenMP are up-streamed I think.
> Of course it is not obvious with all these heterogeneous dialects coming with
> some subtle syntax, feature and semantics differences...
>
> Are you relying on some of the up-streamed CUDA/OpenMP code for your
> implementation?

[Haidl, Michael]
There are parts that are handled for PACXX equally to CUDA. For example the handling of variables declared as shared memory. Also each C++ generic attribute used for PACXX has a GNU counterpart in CUDA. It should be possible to converge some parts of PACXX with CUDA with minor modifications to PACXX. I will look into it.