[cfe-dev] Linking files while using Clang AST matchers to implement a call graph

FarSight Studios via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 24 23:52:19 PST 2018

Dear all,

I am trying to implement an ability to keep track of reads and writes to a
variables and objects. The object can be passed by reference or by pointer
to other functions.
I am using CLang AST matcher for this task.
My solution seems to work, but only when all the functions are located in
the same source file.
When functionA calls functionB, whose definition is located in another cpp
file, I am unable to get the location of the definition of functionB, I
only able to get the declaration which located in its header file.

My questions are:
How I can get to the definition to a callee function from a caller location
which located in a different source file (different AST)?
Do I need to somehow pass the linkage stage to make it work?

I have seen in other posts that CLang libTooling does not support Cross
Translation Unit feature.
I also seen that LibClang allowed to impenitent this by using Unified
Symbol Resolution. Does libTooling offer something like that?

Is there any other option to getting to function definition when more than
one source file is used?

I have searched the web for a few days to find any solution with no luck.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Here is more details about how and what I am trying to accomplish. It is a
bit LONG so please don't read it if you don't have time:

I wrote two matchers:
One for matching all the write operations to a parameter inside a funcion:
binaryOperator(
isAssignmentOperator(),
hasLHS(ignoringParenImpCasts(
anyOf(
unaryOperator(hasUnaryOperand(ignoringParenImpCasts(declRefExpr(to(parmVarDecl().bind("parmVarDecl")))))),
declRefExpr(to(parmVarDecl().bind("parmVarDecl"))),
arraySubscriptExpr(hasLHS(ignoringParenImpCasts(declRefExpr(to(parmVarDecl().bind("parmVarDecl"))))))
))
)
,unless(isExpansionInSystemHeader())).bind("binaryOpAssignment")

Another one is for matching outer function parameters to the arguments of a
callee function.
auto innerCallExpr = callExpr(
forEachArgumentWithParam(
anyOf(unaryOperator(hasDescendant(calleeArgVarDecl)),calleeArgVarDecl),parmVarDecl().bind("calleeParam")),
callee(functionDecl().bind("calleeFunc")),unless(isExpansionInSystemHeader())).bind("callExpr");

auto outerFuncDect =
functionDecl(forEachDescendant(innerCallExpr)).bind("outerFunc");

Using these two matchers allows me to build a graph in which I create:
1) Node for each function-parameter pairs (named FUNC-NAME_PARAM-NAME)
2) Relation for each function call in which the parameter is passed to
another function.

For example, given the following functions:

void useSwap(int &p_1, int &p_2) {

    swap(p_1, p_2, 1);
}

void swap(int &x, int &y, int junk) {
    int temp;
    temp = x;
    x = y;             // << SOURCE_CODE_WRITE_LOCATION_OF_x
    y = temp;

    return;
}

I can follow useSwap's function parameter with the folowing graph nodes and
relations:

(useSwap_p_1) -[:CALLS]-> (swap_x) -[:WRITES]->
(NODE_FOR_SOURCE_CODE_WRITE_LOCATION_OF_x)

For building this proof of concept I have used the LibASTMatchers tutorial
from https://clang.llvm.org/docs/LibASTMatchersTutorial.html
In that tutorial, CommonOptionParser, ClangTool are used, and the Tool runs
with a matcher.
If I pass few source files as agrument to the application, an AST created
for each of these files individualy.
I cannot map the funcions from one AST to another so my call chain is
broken.

I tryed to pass a the following compilation database file as an argumet to
the application:
[
{
"directory": "/home/test",
"command": "g++ -I/usr/include/c++/5 -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/c++/5
-I/usr/include/c++/5/backward -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/include -std=c++11
/home/test/file1.cpp",
"file": "/home/test/file1.cpp"
}
,
{
"directory": "/home/test",
"command": "g++ -I/usr/include/c++/5 -I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/c++/5
-I/usr/include/c++/5/backward -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu -I/usr/include -std=c++11
/home/test/file2.cpp",
"file": "/home/test/file2.cpp"
}
]

Got the following error and warnings and linkage stage failed.

warning: /home/test/compile_commands.json: 'linker' input unused
[-Wunused-command-line-argument]
warning: argument unused during compilation: '-I /usr/include/c++/5'
[-Wunused-command-line-argument]
warning: argument unused during compilation: '-I
/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/c++/5' [-Wunused-command-line-argument]
warning: argument unused during compilation: '-I
/usr/include/c++/5/backward' [-Wunused-command-line-argument]
warning: argument unused during compilation: '-I /usr/local/include'
[-Wunused-command-line-argument]
warning: argument unused during compilation: '-I
/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu' [-Wunused-command-line-argument]
warning: argument unused during compilation: '-I /usr/include'
[-Wunused-command-line-argument]
error: unable to handle compilation, expected exactly one compiler job in ''
Error while processing /home/test/compile_commands.json.

Replacing the "command" section with somethin like "clang++ -c
/home/test/file1.cpp" also did not work. I got the following error:

warning:
/home/dev/projects/samlaCode/clang-tool/examples/compile_commands.json:
'linker' input unused [-Wunused-command-line-argument]
warning: argument unused during compilation: '-c'