[cfe-dev] OpenCL Generic Address Spaces - CodeGen (was Re: [llvm-dev] AliasAnalysis does not look though a memcpy)

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 6 11:36:41 PST 2018

Hi Andrew,

Can you please provide a reference to the relevant part of the OpenCL
specification describing this feature? This sounds like an extremely
surprising and problematic language design choice, and I'd like to make
sure we're not misinterpreting the specification.

(Some specific things that are unclear here: Where can GAS pointers be
used? Can I put them in a struct? Can I make an array of them? Are all
array elements required to point to the same address space? Are they
mutable? Can I assign pointers from multiple different address spaces to
the same GAS pointer? Must functions taking GAS pointers be defined in the
same translation unit as the call? Can different GAS parameters resolve to
different address spaces? Can you take the address of a function taking GAS
pointers?)