[cfe-dev] API Removal Notice (4 weeks): getStartLoc, getLocStart, getLocEnd

Kim Gräsman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 21 02:15:17 PDT 2018

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 12:00 AM Stephen Kelly via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I'm generally fine with that, but
>
> * That is not how cfe generally operates regarding API changes
> * There is no consensus for doing that
> * There hasn't been any discussion which you might expect for such a
> change in how cfe operates.
>
> I am not really comfortable with using a lack of consensus (and lack of
> discussion) to create new precedent of policy about how Clang does API
> removals. Currently the policy is 'just do it'. I come from experience
> in projects which are very conservative (Qt, CMake) so I wanted to at
> least be structured about the removal and notify (with this thread)
> about it.

For what it's worth, as a downstream consumer of the Clang C++ API, I
was happy to see the deprecation announcement (because it makes it
easier to understand why our code would break), and now I'm eager to
get rid of the old API. For us it would actually be better if removal
was backported to the 7.0 branch, because we typically do development
on master (which is synced with LLVM/Clang trunk) during the LLVM
release period. We only take a release branch of our own when an API
break is introduced between LLVM/Clang trunk and release branch, and
then we have to cherry-pick our changes carefully between the two.

- Kim