[cfe-dev] Filesystem has Landed in Libc++

Howard Hinnant via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 10 19:41:33 PDT 2018

On Aug 10, 2018, at 9:35 PM, Eric Fiselier <eric at efcs.ca> wrote:

> Part of me is still concerned with the future, and the filesystems which are yet to exist.

Me too.  But it is best to target modern systems when targeting future systems adds an unnecessary cost.  When future systems come into being, it is likely because future hardware is making those future systems practical.

E.g. nanosecond precision file systems were not produced prior to the widespread adoption of 64 bit hardware.  Mainly because they were just too expensive on 32 bit hardware.

In the future, we will have a better shot at dealing with that future.  The std::lib we write today will have to evolve, no matter what we do today.  Future proof where it is practical to do so, and don’t where it isn’t.

Howard